Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lame!!!

So the other day I was writing this story about a 64-year-old man who was hit by a run-a-way car while sitting at a bus stop. Now he is in the hospital in critical condition. And I was thinking to myself "I feel so bad for that poor old man." Then later it hit me. My dad could be that poor old man. My dad is 64-years-old. And I was thinking, "I wonder if you would call a 64-year-old elderly??" I would never call my dad elderly. It just re-enforced what I guess I already knew. My work world... and my real world really can't co-exist. In order to deal with the bad, the ugly, the sad, the disturbing, the heartbreaking stories that we cover on a daily basis. In order to see what would make a "good" story. You have to be able to seperate yourself from the emotions. Otherwise we would spend all our time crying, cursing god, or trying to hang ourselves. Don't get me wrong. It's not like that is all we cover, but it is a good portion of it. And you sort of have to become a little desensitized, or risk losing your mind. But it really boils down to this... somewhere, someone loves every person in the stories we tell.

I just read through that... and that was really lame. So lame I totally thought about deleting it, but then I kinda felt like that was cheating. I thought it, believed it was blog worthy and wrote it. So, now I'll post it... but I will not be proud of it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not lame, it's true. We cover a ton of stories that would, if we let ourselves take it to heart, drive us to be sad and angry most of the time.