Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Crippled Life

So much for my nice long relaxing vacation. You know me... I must find some way to "spice things up". So I somehow managed to break my ankle... and wind up in the emergency room. But, as we all know, I don't do anything half-assed. So, I didn't just "break my ankle"... I BROKE MY ANKLE!!! I broke both bones (the tibia and the fibia) in a spiral fracture. It required emergency surgery, but because I have a blood clotting disorder and I am on coumadin, my "emergency surgery" had to wait until they could thicken up my blood. It was by far the most painful 24+ hours of my entire life... minutes after I was given morphine, I was in so much pain I didn't know if I was going to make it. The next day I was wheeled downstairs for surgery... where I would receive a plate... 6 screws... and 2 weird looking pin things, turning my right ankle... bionic, but hopefully eventually returning it to "normal". The surgery went well, at least according to all the doctors. I was still in a lot of pain, and then came the bombshell, no weight on my right foot for at least 6 weeks... NONE!!! Crutches would be my new best friend. I spend the next 3 days in the hospital while they tried to thin my blood back out now that surgery was over. I was back on the coumadin and getting shots in my stomach (if you've never had one... let me just say OUCH!!!) but my levels were still not right. By now it was Wednesday and I was scheduled to leave Saturday. My boyfriend really wanted me to be home with him... and I didn't want to be in the hospital alone anymore. (It wasn't like last time. This wasn't my home so I didn't constantly have someone with me... and I was in so much pain and so depressed about how I was spending the end of my vacation that most of the time I just laid in bed... I didn't read, I didn't watch TV... I just laid there.) So finally on Thursday, the doctor said I could leave if someone would give me my shots twice a day in my stomach. Luckily, my boyfriend's mom used to be a nurse and so she agreed without hesitation. I went home and my boyfriend spent the rest of my vacation taking care of me, but at least we got to be together. Talk about an ending to my time in paradise... so by now you're probably wondering... how the hell did it happen!!!
Did she fall during one of those amazing hikes she was on?
Was it on one of those walks on the beach, that sand can be very deep?
Oh no... it was once again the me versus the stairs... and guess who won??
The one time I decided to put on a pair of high heels. We went to town to see a NOFX show. I had a couple of drinks... wearing a couple of heels... and then met a couple of stairs... that's all it took. When I fell, I thought I had maybe just twisted it, that is until I tried to stand up and immediately fell back down (probably because the two bones I had to stand on were both broken) I started screaming in pain... my boyfriend rushed over, picked me up... and carried me up to his friend's condo where I spent the night with my foot propped up with ice on it. I proceeded to pop of couple of pain pills... and drink more... like then it would just magically get better. Finally my boyfriend's friend called one of his neighbor's who is a nurse. He came over and looked at it and said we needed to go to the emergency room immediately. And that's what we did... so there you are... all caught up... on my crippled life!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what's this crutches nonsense?! tell them about your scooter! better yet, post a picture!
...yeah, you know what i mean - bring me the pic and i'll post it for you. :p