Friday, December 26, 2008

Marriage Secrets

What makes a marriage last? And not just last... but happy? These are questions I have been pondering and not just because I am home visiting my parents who have been married for more than 30 years... and certainly don't always have a happy marriage. They bicker and pick on each other and sometimes, I think, intentionally piss each other off. Or my newly married friends, who seemed to have the perfect relationship and are having problems now, not problems that would break up their marriage, but things are no longer perfect. Then there is my two girlfriends who each got married and divorced in a year. I'm just wondering, does marriage ruin the relationship?? Can things be all fine and dandy until you throw that marriage thing in there? I know relationships are not all fun and games. I understand there are fights, tears and words you wish you could take back. But, I guess my question is, do the trying times get enhanced once you slip the wedding band on?? Is is because we stop trying so hard? Now we have the guy/girl and so we don't have to impress as much (bring flowers, remember to compliment, listen). Or perhaps those fights were happening all along behind the scenes. Perhaps when people get married, they just get vocal about their problems. You always hear men or women bitching about their spouses, like it's funny. It's a joke. Bottom line is... I don't want to be one of those couples... married or not... laughing about how much I dislike my partner. I don't expect things to be roses and sunshine always, but I do want to love the man that I am with for the rest of my life. I want to be happy with him for the rest of my life. I want to feel lucky to have him for the rest of my life. I want to remember how I feel about him now... forever. Can that be done?? What is the secret to a happy marriage???

2 comments:

SheckerGirl said...

my mom always claims, in the heat of anger, that if she met and married my father in the US, that they'd never be together today.

She means people in this country are taught to give up immediately - if you know there's an easy way out, why try hard? 90% of the turkish couples I know marry for life... and I think it's all about the pragmatism you use when you face the life you're going to live. It's not going to be a bed of roses... or any of those other cliches. You have to learn how to fight, and back away from a fight, and how to survive when issues like money or having kids become contentious or stressful... I guess the secret to a happy marriage for me, then, is that you have to want it enough in the first place to be willing to fight your ass off for it, and never give up.
- D

Anonymous said...

Such good advice...