Monday, December 22, 2008

Art of Gift Giving

So listen up people... the art of gift giving is not that difficult. Let me GIVE you the basic rules. First of all... it totally does not matter how much money you spend but it does matter THAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE PERSON YOU ARE GIVING THE GIFT TO! All I'm saying is this, put a little time and effort into it. Does the person have a favorite hobby, like to go out to eat, love jewelry, have a favorite store? Think about those things and then act. I say stay away from the gift cards if at all possible, they are impersonal. But sometimes, if someone (like me right now!) needs money, a Visa gift card isn't such a bad gift!!!!
Where is this all coming from... well last night I received a gift of a wine carrying bag, a wine cork, a wine opener and a bottle of wine... from my aunt and uncle who thought I was still on the wagon (still not drinking because of my blood clot and the coumadin). Who in their right f-ing mind would give that gift to someone who is not drinking??? How unthoughtful and just plain rude is that? That's like giving an alcoholic a bottle of jack- "Just for entertaining of course!" WTF. Then, and this is a little thing, but it was a bottle of red. Now, I have drank wine with these people for years and never have I ever drank red. So you would think that they would maybe think to at least give me a bottle of the kind of wine that I actually like (white) but no, even that is too much. My mom reminded me that they are moving so they must just be trying to unload their wine supply. Then she took the bottle of red off my hands and said she would give me money for my favorite bottle of white (which is P.S. $12 with a Safeway club card). BTW... My mom, my sister and my cousin & his wife all got the same gift. If you're not going to bother to give a shit about the person you are giving the gift to, that why bother giving the gift???

No comments: