Sunday, March 22, 2009

Boot Buddies

Apparently I have joined some sort of cult, some exclusive club, a fraternity of sorts. It all happened without me ever knowing. All I had to do was show up in public, wearing a walking cast, and BAM!! I was in. I would invite you in too, but I'm afraid this group is very restrictive. See you have to be wearing or have worn a walking cast, otherwise, sorry there is no room for the never-been booted. I first noticed I was in when I went to a spring training baseball game and like three people stopped me to tell me about how they had just gotten out of their boot, or show me their scars. And then if that wasn't enough, it happened again today at the grocery store. But here's the wierd part... we may all be in the same cult, but it is very competitive. Everyone wants to tell you "their story"... what happened to them to put them in the boot, and then they want to hear yours. And this is the part where I really get them. It's pretty hard to top the "I broke my tibia and fibula in a spiral fracture just above the ankle and had to have emergency surgery so now I have a plate, 6 screws and 2 pins holding my now bionic ankle together". They just don't see it coming and then as quickly as they inducted me into their little club... I beat them over the head with it. I told my mom it's the only good thing about this whole ordeal. I least I really committed to breaking my ankle. I didn't just hair-line fracture one bone... oh no... not me. I went for it... and now at least I can be at the top of the boot club.

No comments: