Saturday, March 7, 2009

Groupie vs. Fan

So my friend "J" and I have been following this band for quite a while, well her longer than me actually because she used to live in the city the band is from. But this band (which I will break my rules and name because they are so good I think you should all go and check them out!!) Sunday Afternoon occassionally ventures up to our area to play shows and so everytime they do, J and I make every effort possible to be there. And we always try to drag people to the show with us. People just don't know them here, but no one we have ever taken has not wanted to go back again. In fact, now were collecting our own little group of friends. And people think we actually know music!!! But that's not the point. So last night, there were two guys with us that both of us had just met at happy hour with a mutual friend. And since we were such loyal fans, they apparently assumed we knew someone, if not everyone in the band. Ha ha we laughed... "no we just admire from afar!" And then we tried to explain to them that we didn't even really want to know them. That we didn't want to be groupies. We don't want to sleep with these guys. We just really appreciate their music and think they are extremely talented. In fact, we both agreed if we really knew them, it may ruin it. Because what if they were dicks to their girlfriends, or had no personality, or were cheaters, or what if they thought that we wanted to be groupies and tried to go down that route??? All of these things could ruin what we already have... which is a beautiful fan relationship. One where they don't know we exist... and we get to go to all the shows and listen to their amazing music with no akwardness or strings attached. To all you groupies out there, more power to ya. It's just not the route I am looking to take with Sunday Afternoon. So in this case... when it comes to the groupie versus the fan... the fan totally kicks ass!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa!!! did you imbed a link in your post? advanced, lawless, very advanced. i'm so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

and thanks for putting it out there plain. if you really love the music, meeting the music makers can taint it. once they step off the stage, they're on equal footing with every other guy in the bar and are just as likely to be douche bags. better to not find out.

Anonymous said...

I know... how proud of you are me. I linked to something. And I did it right! It's like I'm all computer grown up. Okay, let's not get ahead of ourselves, but still exciting, yes???