Sunday, March 8, 2009

Handicapped Crusade

I've taken up a new mission in life, to educate those of you who have never had to deal with being handicapped. And since my little ordeal, I can not tell you how appalled I am, about parking, people, and attitudes. So I'm taking up the handicapped accessible crusade... and I'm not going to stop bitching until I get some action. For instance, the gas station by my house thinks it is doing its part by having two handicapped parking spots, but they are at the end of the building. And the only ramp to get up is at the end of the building, every where else it's this giant curb of death. Who puts handicapped parking spots farthest away from the door? Everyone knows that fully defeats the purpose!!! Irritating. I might be banning you, QT on Greenfield just south of the US 60. That's right, I just called you out... What are ya gonna do about it??? And then, there are the people. Some just see you on crutches or a scooter, obviously handicapped and still let the door close right in front of you. Others watch you try to empty your basket of groceries on your rascal scooter at the store (it's embarrassing enough that I had to ride that thing) onto the check out belt, knowing you are having a hard time reaching the front of the basket and still don't offer to help. HELLO!!! What has happened to compassion, humanity, being nice? But the thing that really put me over the edge was when I went to meet some friends for happy hour the other night at this bar. I know they have two handicapped spots in this lot next to the bar, otherwise you have to park on the street and walk. So I pull into the lot and both handicapped spots are taken. And then I look closely and realize that the car parked in the second handicapped spot, isn't even handicapped. They don't have a handicapped plate or a decal. So now I'm really pissed... I have to go park way down the street and limp my way into the bar, because this asshole has decided that handicapped people don't go out to the bar. On my very long and slow walk, I thought about all the things I would say to this asshole. And then I thought about writing them a note and leaving it on the car, but I really didn't want to take time out of my night, just to teach some douche bag (Can we agree on douche bag here frenemy?? I really think it applies!!!) a lesson. So I've come up with a new plan. I'm going to write a letter and make copies and just carry them around in my car, so I can just leave them and move on with my life without wasting anytime.
Here's my rough draft...

Dear Handicapped Parking Spot Stealer,
You or someone you know and love has obviously never needed to use one of these parking spots because otherwise there is no way you would be so arrogant as to think that you have a right to park in this spot. I don't care what your excuse is, it is not good enough. Be thankful you don't need to use this spot and then realize that there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who do and have the decency and the common courtesy to stay out of the spots that are designated to make their already difficult lives, just a little bit easier. If I were you, I would feel ashamed. And I would certainly hope that I wasn't watching you get into your car right now.
Have a wonderful day!

So... What do you think??
If you care to join the crusade and carry letters in your car too I could use all the soldiers I can get!!!

No comments: